Transition to High School
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FROM EIGHTH GRADE STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES REGARDING THE TRANSITION TO HIGH SCHOOL
In conjunction with the school's mission statement, the vision of the guidance office is to provide all students with the opportunities to acquire the academic, personal, and career skills essential to graduating from high school and becoming productive citizens who respect themselves and others.
- What is the "real" difference between College Preparatory and Honors Courses?
- What is the effect on college placement if one only takes CP level-courses?
- How many "honors" courses should one take?
- How much homework can be expected at the HS (freshman year specifically)?
- The HS schedule (how does it actually work)?
- Some new freshmen might be worried about getting lost at the high school….it seems so large.
- Do freshman get picked on by upper-class students?
- Are there a lot of drugs at the HS?
- Are there lots of parties where alcohol is present?
- What are the teachers like? What do they expect? Will they help me?
- Is high school really stressful?
- What are the graduation requirements?
- What about the MCAS? Do I need to pass it in order to graduate?
- What are the SAT's and when do we take them?